Connect with us

Is ‘Palm Springs’ the Best Time Loop Movie?

Discussion

Hulu/Neon

Time loops have never been more timely.

2020 has got many people, myself included, feeling like they’re stuck in a never-ending cycle of the same monotonous day.  Ever since lockdown began, I’ve pretty much been reliving the same day over and over again. Most of the time, I couldn’t even tell you what day of the week it is. With citizens around the globe experiencing this recurring boredom, “time loop” movies have never been more relatable.

Time loop movies force their characters to repeat a certain period, often in hopes of personal growth or revelations. The timely trope was first introduced on-screen in the 1983 Japanese science-fiction adaptation “The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,” which tells the story of a schoolgirl who attempts to alter the past while stuck in a cycle of repeating days.  Since then, time loops have proven to be a popular thematic device in all genres of films. 

Last week, “Palm Springs,” starring Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti, became Hulu’s most-watched movie over its opening weekend.  The Max Barbakow rom-com follows two wedding guests stuck in a repeating cycle of matrimonial chaos.   Although “Palm Springs” possesses familiar time loop tropes, it manages to keep things fresh by adding intriguing twists and impressive character work.  Many are dubbing “Palm Springs” the best time loop film of all time, but it has some solid competition.

“Before I Fall,” “Source Code,” and “Happy Death Day” are a few favorites in the mix for best time loop movie.  The video from WatchMojo.com below ranks the “Top 10 Deja Vu Movies to See Again and Again.” Check it out and then leave a comment telling us what time loop movie takes your number one spot!

WatchMojo.com lists their top 10 time loop flicks

More in Discussion

To Top