Connect with us
Alamo On Demand

Hey Hollywood, Not Every Movie That Makes a Buck Needs to Be Turned Into a Franchise

Extraction Sequel Universe
Netflix

Discussion

Hey Hollywood, Not Every Movie That Makes a Buck Needs to Be Turned Into a Franchise

Sequels and prequels and remakes, oh my!

Bitching about Hollywood’s incessant trend of turning every popular movie into a sequel, prequel, remake, reboot, franchise, and universe is nearly as old as the trend itself.

I’ve written about it plenty of times before, as have millions of other film writers, bloggers, and social media dwellers, usually in response to some announcement like Universal has greenlit “Fast and Furious 17” or Disney has begun developing the sequel to the prequel of the Han Solo alternate universe.

So why am I writing about it again, especially now when seemingly nothing is being produced in Hollywood? Because this week there were two announcements from two different studios regarding two different properties that were once again going to be made into a countless iterations of the same exact movie, just packaged slightly differently each time.

First, news broke on Monday that filmmaker Matthew Vaughn is plotting “something like seven more Kingsman films.” Really? If I’m being honest, the first film was so overly hyped that when I finally saw it, the end result was a major letdown. Now there are three already in the can with another in pre-production. So that means Vaughn has nearly a dozen “Kingsman” films in mind? Thanks, but I’m good.

Next, news followed on the same day that the Russo Brothers want the “Extraction” sequel to spawn an entire cinematic universe. How do you think that might work? Perhaps each of the Hemsworth brothers should get a film, then bring in some cousins to keep the gravy train running.

Do you know what an “Extraction Universe” really is? It’s an entire genre that the film industry calls “Action Movies.” They all have some buff loner dude going up against dozens of baddies with a bunch of gunfights and explosions peppered into the mix. Brilliant!

I’ll end this rant the same way I end them all: don’t blame Hollywood for turning every successful movie into a franchise. Blame the people who spend good money to see the same regurgitated bullshit over and over again. If these films stopped making money, Hollywood would stop making them. Period.

More in Discussion

Alamo On Demand
To Top