According to Bob Iger, 'Star Wars' Franchise Will Take a Break After Episode IX
Disney CEO Bob Iger says he’s not concerned that consumers may be overexposed to the ‘Star Wars’ brand, but the film franchise will go on “hiatus” after December’s big release.
“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”
The ninth film in the so-called Skywalker saga is slated for release on Dec. 20. It’s the third installment of a film trilogy that Disney began with ‘The Force Awakens’ in 2015.
After that, the franchise will focus more on TV projects, Iger said.
“We will take a pause, some time, and reset,” he said, “because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Star Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”
This is a pivotal time for Disney’s Star Wars interests. The company is introducing two highly anticipated Star Wars-themed lands at its parks in California and Florida this summer. Yet Disney’s run with the franchise hasn’t been without setbacks. Last year’s ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ was the lowest-grossing film in the four-decade history of the franchise. Star Wars toy sales also fell in 2018 for the second year in a row.